HH works to a point. Specifically, it only collects hints for the first hour
the node is down and it has a safety valve to avoid the node collecting hints
getting overwhelmed. Looking at the code it takes a bit for that the trip and
you would get a TimeoutException coming back.

Also when hints are replayed they are sent of as mutations, which may still be
dropped by the target if they are not serviced before rpc_timeout. Sending
nodes throttle their requests so it's unlikely but possible.

HH is is much more robust, but AFAIK repair is still _the_ way to ensure on
disk consistency.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer