> in terms of our high-rate write load cassandra1.0.11 is about 3 (three!!)
> times slower than cassandra-0.7.8
We've not had any reports of a performance drop off. All tests so far have show
improvements in both read and write performance.

> I agree, such digests save some network IO, but they seem to be very bad in
> terms of CPU and disk IO.
The sha1 is created so we can diagnose corruptions in the -Data component of
the SSTables. They are not used to save network IO.
It is calculated while streaming the Memtable to disk so has no impact on disk
IO. While not the fasted algorithm I would assume it's CPU overhead in this
case is minimal.

>  there's already relatively small Bloom filter file, which can be used for
> saving network traffic instead of sha1 digest.
Bloom filters are used to test if a row key may exist in an SSTable.

> any explanation ?

If you can provide some more information on your use case we may be able to
help.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer