Was there more to the error message ? Looks likes there should be a caused by
exception there
https://github.com/Netflix/astyanax/blob/master/src/main/java/com/netflix/astyanax/serializers/AnnotatedCompositeSerializer.java#L114

The InstationError is being raised when it tries to create an instance of the
column type
https://github.com/Netflix/astyanax/blob/master/src/main/java/com/netflix/astyanax/serializers/AnnotatedCompositeSerializer.java#L166

I would check everything is in the class path and create an issue on
https://github.com/Netflix/astyanax/issues if you get stuck.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer