> Given the advice to use a single RAID 0 volume, I think that's what I'll do.
> By system mirror, you are referring to the volume on which the OS is
> installed?
Yes.
I was thinking about a simple RAID 1 OS volume and RAID 0 data volume setup.
With the Commit Log on the OS volume so it does not compete with cassandra for
iops.

> sense in my case to build or maintain a large cluster.  I wanted to run a
> two-node setup (RF=1, RCL=ONE, WCL=ALL),
You would be taking on the operational concerns of running cassandra without
any of the payoff for having a cluster.

> each with several disks having large capacity, totaling 10 - 12 TB.  Is this
> (another) bad idea?
Yes. Very bad.
If you had 6TB on average system with spinning disks you would measure duration
of repairs and compactions in days.

If you want to store 12 TB of data you will need more machines.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton