Hi Aaron, thank you for your reply. Please read inline comment.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM, aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>wrote:

> What version are you on ?

cassandra version 1.0.8

>  HTimedOutException is logged for all the nodes.
>
> TimedOutException happens when less than CL replica nodes respond to the
> coordinator in time.
> You could get the error from all nodes in your cluster if the 3 nodes that
> store the key are having problems.

we have check the system load and tpstats for all the nodes in the cluster.
Only node 3 having high active and pending
count for MutationStage and FlushWriter.

> MutationStage 16 2177067 879092633 0 0
>
> This looks like mutations are blocked or running very very slowly.
>
> FlushWriter 0 0 5616 0 1321
>
> The All Timed Blocked number means there were 1,321 times a thread tried
> to flush a memtable but the queue of flushers was full. Do you use
> secondary indexes ? If so take a look at the comments for
> memtable_flush_queue_size in the yaml file.
>
> No, all keyspaces that we created do not have secondary indexes. So
probably the settings 'memtable_flush_queue_size' is not relevant?

What I interpret based on the output as above and the output of
compactionstats on node-3, one would think that the compaction would
probably hitting
the limit I/O of the system and hence, the FlushWriter has to be block. I
read further, nodetool has a command 'setcompactionthroughput', would
setting
the throughput to a lower number to a number lower than 16 helps?

>   and cluster settings, it should be possible in this scenario, write
> success
>   on one of the nodes even though node-3 is too busy or failing for any
> reason?
>
> Yes.
> If only one node fails to respond the write should succeed. If you got a
> TimedOut with CL ONE it sounds like more nodes were having problems.

We check the nodes by running command like top or nodetool cfstats on all
the nodes in the cluster. The load for the rest of the nodes all below 1
and there is no
active or pending count for all the stages. What other methods to find out
if all the nodes in the system is in OK or problem from cassandra point of
view? Because
if there is a concrete method to gauge all the nodes, we will have better
clues where exactly is the problem.

> * when hector client failover to other nodes, basically all the nodes
> fail, why
>   is this so?
>
> Sorry I don't understand this question.

14.Sep 12:14:04,430 WARN HConnectionManager [operateWithFailover]: Could
not fullfill request on this host CassandraClient<node-1.example.com:9160
-88909>
14.Sep 12:14:04,430 WARN HConnectionManager [operateWithFailover]:
Exception:
me.prettyprint.hector.api.exceptions.HTimedOutException: TimedOutException()
at
me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.ExceptionsTranslatorImpl.translate(ExceptionsTranslatorImpl.java:42)
at
me.prettyprint.cassandra.connection.HConnectionManager.operateWithFailover(HConnectionManager.java:252)
..
..
..
14.Sep 12:14:04,302 WARN HConnectionManager [operateWithFailover]: Could
not fullfill request on this host CassandraClient<node-2.example.com:9160
-89196>
14.Sep 12:14:04,302 WARN HConnectionManager [operateWithFailover]:
Exception:
me.prettyprint.hector.api.exceptions.HTimedOutException: TimedOutException()
at
me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.ExceptionsTranslatorImpl.translate(ExceptionsTranslatorImpl.java:42)
at
me.prettyprint.cassandra.connection.HConnectionManager.operateWithFailover(HConnectionManager.java:252)

the log show that similar log with hector trying to failover to all the
nine nodes.

> * what factors that increase MutationStage active and pending values?
>
> Check the log for ERRORs
> Check for failing or overloaded IO.
> See comment above about memtable flush queue size.
>
> when the logging in cassandra is enable with DEBUG, here is the log I got
for node-1

INFO [HintedHandoff:1] 2012-09-14 12:27:38,955 HintedHandOffManager.java
(line 354) Timed out replaying hints to /node-3; aborting further deliveries
INFO [HintedHandoff:1] 2012-09-14 12:27:38,956 HintedHandOffManager.java
(line 373) Finished hinted handoff of 0 rows to endpoint /node-3

DEBUG [RPC-Thread:577363] 2012-09-14 12:52:12,484 StorageProxy.java (line
212) Write timeout java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException for one (or more)
of:
DEBUG [RPC-Thread:577363] 2012-09-14 12:52:12,484 CassandraServer.java
(line 648) ... timed out