Client code. CQL will only deserialize composites as you mention in A.

On Sep 19, 2012, at 5:01 AM, "Roshni Rajagopal"
<roshni_rajago...@hotmail.com<mailto:roshni_rajago...@hotmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

There was a conversation on this some time earlier, and to continue it

Suppose I want to associate a user to  an item, and I want to also store 3
commonly used attributes without needing to go to an entity item column family
, I have 2 options :-

A) use composite columns
UserId1 : {
 <itemid1>:<Name> = Betty Crocker,
 <itemid1>:<Descr> = Cake
<itemid1>:<Qty> = 5
 <itemid2>:<Name> = Nutella,
 <itemid2>:<Descr> = Choc spread
<itemid2>:<Qty> = 15
}

B) use a json with the data
UserId1 : {
 <itemid1> = {name: Betty Crocker,descr: Cake, Qty: 5},
 <itemid2> ={name: Nutella,descr: Choc spread, Qty: 15}
}

Essentially A is better if one wants to update individual fields , while B is
better if one wants easier paging, reading multiple items at once in one read.
etc. The details are in this discussion thread
http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/Data-Modeling-another-question-td7581967.html

I had an additional question,
as its being said, that CQL is the direction in which cassandra is moving, and
there's a lot of effort in making CQL the standard,

How does approach B work in CQL. Can we read/write a JSON easily in CQL? Can we
extract a field from a JSON in CQL or would that need to be done via the client
code?

Regards,
Roshni

'Like' us on Facebook for exclusive content and other resources on all
Barracuda Networks solutions.
Visit http://barracudanetworks.com/facebook