Thanks for your responses.

Just to be clear our table declaration looks something like this:
CREATE TABLE sessionevents (
  atag text,
  col2 uuid,
  col3 text,
  col4 uuid,
  col5 text,
  col6 text,
  col7 blob,
  col8 text,
  col9 timestamp,
  col10 uuid,
  col11 int,
  col12 uuid,
  PRIMARY KEY (atag, col2, col3, col4)
)

My understanding was that the (full) row key in this case would be the 'atag'
values. The column names would then be composites like
(<col2_value>:<col3_value>:<col4_value>:col5), (<col2_value>: <col3_value>:
<col4_value>:col6), (<col2_value>:<col3_value>:<col4_value>:col7) ...
(<col2_value>: <col3_value>: <col4_value>:col12). The columns would be sorted
first by col2_values, then by col3 values, etc.

Hence a query like "select * from sessionevents where atag=<foo>", we are
specifying the entire row key, and Cassandra would return all the columns for
that row.

>> Using read consistency of ONE reduces the read latency by ~20ms, compared to
>> using QUORUM.
>It would only have read from the local node. (I think, may be confusing
>secondary index reads here).
For read consistency ONE, reading only from one node is my expectation as well,
and hence I'm seeing the reduced read latency compared to read consistency
QUORUM. Does that not sound right?
Btw, with read consistency ONE, we found the reading only happens from one
node, but not necessarily the local node, even if the data is present in the
local node. To check this, we turned on DEBUG logs on all the Cassandra hosts
in the ring. We are using replication factor=3 on a 4 node ring, hence mostly
the data is present locally. However, we noticed that the coordinator host on
receiving the same request multiple times (i.e with the same row key) , would
sometimes return the data locally, but sometimes would contact another host in
the ring to fetch the data.

Thanks,
Arindam