My understanding is that the repair has to happen within gc_grace period.

But in 1.1.1 you can set gc_grace by CF. A couple of my CFs that are frequently updated have gc_grace of 1 hour, but we do run a weekly repair.

So the question is, is this still needed ? Do we even need to run nodetool repair ?

If gc_grace is 10 days on all other CFs, are we saying that as long as we restart that node within the 10 day period we don't need to run nodetool repair ?

The reason I bring this up is because repair once in a while runs for more than a day on some of these nodes (500+Gigs of data) and it is causing slowness with read requests.

--
Regards,
Oleg Dulin