Honestly, I think what they did re Brisk development is fair. They left
the code for any of us in the community to improve it and make it
compatible with newer versions and they need to make money as a company as
well. They already contribute so much to the Cassandra community in
general and they are certainly not trying to stop people from continuing
to develop Brisk. Hadoop jobs that input and output to Cassandra will also
work without it as well. If you need the features of CFS and don’t want to
maintain HDFS then yes you'll have to pay for DSE.

If you are having issues with data not on the particular node that you are
reading from with Hadoop I'd go ahead and set the consistency level in
your job configuration as I recommended previously. Note there is also a
cassandra.consistencylevel.write setting if you are using either the
ColumnFamilyOutputFormat or BulkOutputFormat classes.

In terms of performance I have a MR job that reads in 30 million rows with
QUORUM consistency on 1.1.6 with RandomPartitioner and the mapper takes
about 11 minutes across 3 Hadoop nodes (our Cassandra cluster is obviously
larger but we haven't fully scaled out our Hadoop cluster yet). Hardware
is 2 7200 rpm drives + SSD for the commit log, 32GB of RAM, and 12 cores
per node. Hope this helps.

Best,
michael