I have to say that I have no idea on how to tune them.

I discover the existence of bloom filters a few month ago and even after
reading http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureOverview#line-132 and
http://spyced.blogspot.com/2009/01/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about.html I
am not sure what would be the impacts (positives and negatives) of tuning
the bloom filters.

>From my reads I understand that with a bloom_filter_fp_chance > 0 I
introduce a chance to get a false positive from a SSTable inducing
eventually more latency while answering queries but using less memory. Is
that right ?

"What are your bloom filter settings on your CFs?"

They are default (0 - which seems to mean fully enabled
http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/configuration/storage_configuration#bloom-filter-fp-chance
)

Cant they grow indefinitely or is there a threshold?

Is there a way to "explore" the heap to be sure that bloom filters are
causing this intensive use of the memory inside the heap before tuning them?

>From http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/operations/tuning#tuning-bloomfilters
 :

"For example, to run an analytics application that heavily scans a
particular column family, you would want to inhibit or disable the Bloom
filter on the column family by setting it high"

Why would I do that, won't it slow the display of analytics?

Alain