"kill performance" is relative.  Leveled Compaction basically costs 2x disk
IO.  Look at iostat, etc and see if you have the headroom.

There are also ways to bring up a test node and just run Level Compaction
on that.  Wish I had a URL handy, but hopefully someone else can find it.

Also, if you're not using compression, check it out.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic