> I am wondering whether the huge commitlog size is the expected behavior or
> not?
Nope.

Did you notice the large log size during or after the inserts ?
If after did the size settle ?
Are you using commit log archiving ? (in commitlog_archiving.properties)

> and around 700 mini column family (around 10M in data_file_directories)
Can you describe how you created the 700 CF's ?

> and how can we reduce the size of commitlog?
As a work around nodetool flush should checkpoint the log.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand