On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM, aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> My understanding of the compaction process was that since data files keep
> continuously merging we should not have data files with very old last
> modified timestamps
>
> It is perfectly OK to have very old SSTables.
>
> But performing an upgradesstables did decrease the number of data files and
> removed all the data files with the old timestamps.
>
> upgradetables re-writes every sstable to have the same contents in the
> newest format.
>
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 19/11/2012, at 4:57 PM, Ananth Gundabattula <agundabatt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello Aaron,
>
> Thanks a lot for the reply.
>
> Looks like the documentation is confusing. Here is the link I am referring
> to:  http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/operations/tuning#tuning-compaction
>

>> It does not disable compaction.
> As per the above url, " After running a major compaction, automatic minor
> compactions are no longer triggered, frequently requiring you to manually
> run major compactions on a routine basis." ( Just before the heading Tuning
> Column Family compression in the above link)
>
> With respect to the replies below :
>

>> it creates one big file, which will not be compacted until there are (by
>> default) 3 other very big files.
> This is for the minor compaction and major compaction should theoretically
> result in one large file irrespective of the number of data files initially?
>
>>This is not something you have to worry about. Unless you are seeing
>> 1,000's of files using the default compaction.
>
> Well my worry has been because of the large amount of node movements we have
> done in the ring. We started off with 6 nodes and increased the capacity to
> 12 with disproportionate increases every time which resulted in a lot of
> clean of data folders except system, run repair and then a cleanup with an
> aborted attempt in between.
>
> There were some data.db files older by more than 2 weeks and were not
> modified since then. My understanding of the compaction process was that
> since data files keep continuously merging we should not have data files
> with very old last modified timestamps (assuming there is a good amount of
> writes to the table continuously) I did not have a for sure way of telling
> if everything is alright with the compaction looking at the last modified
> timestamps of all the data.db files.
>
>>What are the compaction issues you are having ?
> Your replies confirm that the timestamps should not be an issue to worry
> about. So I guess I should not be calling them as issues any more.  But
> performing an upgradesstables did decrease the number of data files and
> removed all the data files with the old timestamps.

> [...]

"it is perfectly OK to have old sstables."

Except for the fact that you can not repair and join new nodes until
the cluster is on all on the same version all on the same files.

Your gc_grace_time defaults to 10 days. This means that if you don't
repair every node every 10 days something wonky can happen if you do
deletes.

Also in the past there was an issue if you upgraded from 0.8.X to
1.0.X. 1.0.X did not read some 0.8.X bloom filter files correctly. So
you could get bad reads until you upgraded tables.

These factors cause me to upgrade sstables as soon as possible after an upgrade.