Just for reference HBase's counters also do a local read. I am not saying
they work better/worse/faster/slower but I would not suspect any system
that reads on increment to me significantly faster then what Cassandra
does.

Just saying your counter throughput is read bound, this is not unique to
C*'s implementation.