Ok, thanks Richard.  That's good to hear.

However, I still contend that as node count increases to infinity, the
probability of there being at least two node failures in the cluster at any
time would increase to 100%.

I think of this as somewhat analogous to RAID -- I would not be comfortable
with a 144+ disk RAID 6 array, no matter the rebuild speed :)

Is it possible to configure or write a snitch that would create separate
distribution zones within the cluster?  (e.g. 144 nodes in cluster, split
into 12 zones.  Data stored to node 1 could only be replicated to one of 11
other nodes in the same distribution zone).