If I'm understanding you correctly, you can write TTL's on each insert.

18 months would be roughly 540 days which would be 46656000 seconds. I've not
tried that number, but I use smaller TTL's all the time and they work fine.
Once they are expired they get tombstones and are no longer searchable. Space
is reclaimed as with any tombstone.

--Chris

--
"The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume
you're pretentious."