The problem I see is that it already takes me more than 24 hours just to
load my data...during which time the logs say I'm spending tons of time
doing compaction.  For example in the last 72 hours I'm consumed* 20
hours*per machine on compaction.

Can I conclude from that than I should be (perhaps drastically) increasing
my compaction_mb_per_sec on the theory that I'm getting behind?

The fact that it takes me 3 days or more to run a test means its hard to
just play with values and see what works best, so I'm trying to understand
the behavior in detail.

Thanks.

Brain