It has been true since about 0.8. in the old days ANTI-COMPACTION stunk and
many weird errors would cause node joins to have to be retried N times.

Now node moves/joins seem to work near 100% of the time (in 1.0.7) they are
also very fast and efficient.

If you want to move a node to new hardware you can do it with rsync, but I
would not use the technique for growing the cluster. It is error prone, and
ends up being more work.