I take that back. vnodes are useful for any size cluster, but I do not see
them as a day one requirement. It seems like many people are stumbling over
this.

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Are vnodes on by default. It seems that many on list are using this
feature with small clusters.

> I know these days anything named virtual is sexy, but they are not useful
for small clusters are they. I do not see why people are using them.

> On Monday, February 11, 2013, aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
wrote:
>>  So when you say to do this with a “clean” setup, what are you asking me
to do?

>> Yup
>> clear /var/lib/casssandra/data /commitlog /saved_caches
>> start the cluster
>> use nodetool ring
>> You may also want to play with https://github.com/pcmanus/ccm to create
a local 3 node cluster to see the difference. Note that the updateconfig
setting cannot remove a config setting, so you will need edit the yaml for
the nodes.
>> Cheers
>> -----------------
>> Aaron Morton
>> Freelance Cassandra Developer
>> New Zealand
>> @aaronmorton
>> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>> On 12/02/2013, at 7:57 AM, stephen.m.thomp...@wellsfargo.com wrote:
>>
>> Aaron, thanks for your feedback.
>>
>> .125
>> num_tokens: 256
>> # initial_token:
>>
>> .126
>> num_tokens: 256
>> #initial_token:
>>
>> .127
>> num_tokens: 256
>> # initial_token:
>>
>> This all looks correct.  So when you say to do this with a “clean”
setup, what are you asking me to do?  Is it enough to blow away
/var/lib/cassandra and reload the data?  Also destroy my Cassandra install
(which is just un-tar) and reinstall from nothing?

>> Stephen Thompson
>> Wells Fargo Corporation
>> Internet Authentication & Fraud Prevention
>> 704.427.3137 (W) | 704.807.3431 (C)
>>
>> This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information, and
is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee
or authorized to receive thi