"I am confused.  I thought running compact turns off the minor compactions
and users are actually supposed to run upgradesstables????  (maybe I am on
old documentation?)"

Well, that's not true. What happens is that compaction use sstables with an
aproximate same size. So if you run a major compaction on a 10GB CF, you
have almost no chance of getting that (big) sstable compacted again. You
will have to wait for other sstables to reach this size or run an other
major compaction.

But anyways, this doesn't apply here because we are speaking of LCS
(leveled compaction strategy), which runs differently from the traditional
STC (sized tier compaction).

Not sure about it, but you may run upgradesstable or compaction to rebuild
your sstable after switching from STC  to LCS, I mean both methods trigger
an initialization of LCS on old sstables.

Alain