On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Rene Kochen
<rene.koc...@emea.schange.com> wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> Thank you for your answer!
>
> My idea was to do the snapshots in the backup DC only. That way the backup
> procedure will not affect the live DC. However I'm afraid that a
> point-in-time recovery via the snapshots in the second DC (first restore
> backup on backup DC and then repair live DC) will take too long. I expect
> the data to grow significantly.
>
> It makes more sense to use the second cluster as a hot standby (and make
> snapshots on both clusters).

Remember, snapshots are *cheap*.  There's almost literally zero I/O
associated with a snapshot.  Backing up all that data off the system
is a different story, but at least it's large sequential reads which
is pretty well optimized.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic