I have noticed the same. I think in the "real" world your compaction
throughput is limited by other things. If I had to speculate I would say
that compaction can remove expired tombstones, however doing this requires
bloom filter checks, etc.

I think that setting is more important with multi threaded compaction
and/or more compaction slots. In those cases it may actually throttle
something.