I'm not sure why you want to use public Ip's in the other data centre.
You're cassandra nodes in the other datacentre will be accessible from the
internet

Personally I would use private IP addresses in the second data centre, on a
different IP subnet.

A VPN is your only solution if you want to keep your data private and
unhackable, as it's tunneling it's way through the internet

A slow network connection will mean your data is not in sync in both
datacentres unless you explicitly specify quorum as your consisteny level
in your mutation requests but your database throughput will be affected by
this.

You bandwidth to the second datacentre and the quantity of your mutation
requests will dictate how long it will take the second datacentre to get in
sync with the primary datacentre.

I've probably missed something but there are plenty of intelligent people
in this mailing list to fill the blanks :)

Thanks

Jabbar Azam