Just because you can batch queries or have the server process them out of
order doesn't make it fully "parellel".  You're still using a single TCP
connection which is by definition a serial data stream.  Basically, if you
send a bunch of queries which each return a large amount of data you've
effectively limited your query throughput to a single TCP connection.
 Using Thrift, each query result is returned in it's own TCP stream in
*parallel*.

Not saying the new API isn't great, doesn't have it's place or may have
better performance in certain situations, but generally speaking I would
refrain from making general claims without actual benchmarks to back them
up.   I do completely agree that Async interfaces have their place and have
certain advantages over multi-threading models, but it's just another tool
to be used when appropriate.

Just my .02. :)