It is my understanding that you must have all parts of the partition key
in order to calculate the token. The partition key is the first part of
the primary key, in your case the userId.

You should be able to get the token from the userId. Give it a try:
cqlsh> select userId, token(userId) from users limit 10;

--
*Colin Blower*
/Software Engineer/