DevCenter is using the new java driver [1] which works only with CQL3 and
the binary protocol so older C*/DSE version will not be supported. I know
that upgrading your cluster just to be able to use DevCenter doesn't make
sense, but hopefully features in the 1.2 and 2.0 will justify the upgrade
;-)

[1] https://github.com/datastax/java-driver