Based on my tuning work with C* over the last days, I guess I reached the
following insights.

Maybe someone can confirm whether they make sense:

The more heap I give to Cassandra (up to the GC tipping point of ~8GB) the more
writes it can accumulate in memtables before doing IO.

The more writes are accumulated in memtables, the closer the IO gets towards
the maximum possible IO throughput (because there will be fewer writes of
larger sstables).

So in a sense, C* is designed to maximize IO write efficiency by pre-organizing
write queries in memory. The more memory, the better the organization works
(caveat GC).

Cassandra takes this eagerness for consuming writes and organizing the writes
in memory to such an extreme, that any given node will rather die than stop
consuming writes.

Especially I am looking a confirmation of the last one.

Jan