Hi,

> 1) I will expect same row key could show up in both sstable2json output, as this one row exists in both SSTable files, right?

Yes.

> 2) If so, what is the boundary? Will Cassandra guarantee the column level as the boundary? What I mean is that for one column's data, it will be guaranteed to be either in the first file, or 2nd file, right? There is no chance that Cassandra will cut the data of one column into 2 part, and one part stored in first SSTable file, and the other part stored in second SSTable file. Is my understanding correct?

No.

> 3) If what we are talking about are only the SSTable files in snapshot, incremental backup SSTable files, exclude the runtime SSTable files, will anything change? For snapshot or incremental backup SSTable files, first can one row data still may exist in more than one SSTable file? And any boundary change in this case? > 4) If I want to use incremental backup SSTable files as the way to catch data being changed, is it a good way to do what I try to archive? In this case, what happen in the following example:

I don't fully understand, but snapshot will do. It will create hard links to all the SSTable files present at snapshot.

Let me explain how SSTable and compaction works.

Suppose we have 4 files being compacted(the last one has bee just flushed, then which triggered compaction). Note that file names are simplified.

- Color-1-Data.db: [{Lavender: {hex: #E6E6FA}}, {Blue: {hex: #0000FF}}]
- Color-2-Data.db: [{Green: {hex: #008000}}, {Blue: {hex2: #2c86ff}}]
- Color-3-Data.db: [{Aqua: {hex: #00FFFF}}, {Green: {hex2: #32CD32}}, {Blue: {}}]
- Color-4-Data.db: [{Magenta: {hex: #FF00FF}}, {Gold: {hex: #FFD700}}]

They are created by the following operations.

- Add a row of (key, column, column_value = Blue, hex, #0000FF)
- Add a row of (key, column, column_value = Lavender, hex, #E6E6FA)
---- memtable is flushed => Color-1-Data.db ----
- Add a row of (key, column, column_value = Green, hex, #008000)
- Add a column of (key, column, column_value = Blue, hex2, #2c86ff)
---- memtable is flushed => Color-2-Data.db ----
- Add a column of (key, column, column_value = Green, hex2, #32CD32)
- Add a row of (key, column, column_value = Aqua, hex, #00FFFF)
- Delete a row of (key = Blue)
---- memtable is flushed => Color-3-Data.db ----
- Add a row of (key, column, column_value = Magenta, hex, #FF00FF)
- Add a row of (key, column, column_value = Gold, hex, #FFD700)
---- memtable is flushed => Color-4-Data.db ----

Then, a compaction will merge all those fragments together into the latest ones as follows.

- Color-5-Data.db: [{Lavender: {hex: #E6E6FA}, {Aqua: {hex: #00FFFF}, {Green: {hex: #008000, hex2: #32CD32}}, {Magenta: {hex: #FF00FF}}, {Gold: {hex: #FFD700}}]
* assuming RandomPartitioner is used

Hope they would help.

- Takenori