Thanks for the reply, Tyler. I thought that too.. that maybe the SSTables
are mismatched in size... but upon closer inspection, that doesn't appear
to be the case:

-rw-r--r-- 1 cassandra cassandra  227 Oct  7 23:26 demodb-users-jb-1-Data.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 cassandra cassandra  242 Oct  8 00:38 demodb-users-jb-6-Data.db

The two files look to be nearly the same size. There just appears to be
something special about that first SSTable and it not getting compacted.