>  As I understand it, where clauses only apply to primary keys and secondary
> indices.
I’m a little old fashioned and say if there is a query you do as part of a hot
code path it should be supported by materialising a view at write time rather
than using secondary indexes. That will give you better performance.

Note that when using CQL 3 you don’t have to specify all of the primary key,
just the partition key and then parts of the cluster key.

> From what I've researched it appears two options are to use solr or
> elasticsearch.
If you want the equivalent of being able to put any term in the CQL WHERE
clause then yes those are two options.
Both are fine, Data Stax Enterprise includes solr and makes it a easier
http://www.datastax.com/what-we-offer/products-services/datastax-enterprise

Or you can use the Hadoop integration if you want to process all of your data.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton