If you are really set on using Cassandra as a cache, I would recommend
disabling durable writes for the keyspace(s)[0]. This will bypass the
commitlog (the flushing/rotation of which my be a good-sized portion of
your performance problems given the number of tables).

[0]
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cql/3.0/webhelp/index.html#cql/cql_reference/alter_keyspace_r.html

--
Nate McCall