On 01/29/2014 08:07 PM, Donald Smith wrote:
My question: will the read process try to read first locally from the
datacenter DC2 I specified in its connection string?     I presume so.  (I
doubt that it uses the client's IP address to decide which datacenter is
closer. And I am unaware of another way to tell it to read locally.)

From the rest if this thread it looks like you were asking about how the client selected a Cassandra node to act as a coordinator. Note however that if you are using a DC oblivious CL (ONE, QUORUM) then that Cassandra coordinator may send requests to the remote data center.

Also, will read repair happen between datacenters automatically
("read_repair_chance=0.100000")?  Or does that only happen within a single data
center?

Yes read_repair_chance is global. There is a separate dc_local repair chance if you want to make local reap repairs more common.