(I posted this on the client-dev list the other day, but that list seems
dead so I'm cross posting, sorry if it's the wrong thing to do)

Hi,

Is there any documentation on how CQL clients should handle the new user
defined types coming in 2.1? There's nothing in the protocol specification
on how to handle custom types as far as I can see.

For example, I tried creating the "address" type from the description of
CASSANDRA-5590, and this is how its metadata looks (the metadata for a
query contains a column with a custom type and this is the description of
it):

org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UserType(user_defined_types,61646472657373,737472656574:org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type,63697479:org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type,7a69705f636f6465:org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.Int32Type,70686f6e6573:org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.SetType(org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type))

Is the client supposed to parse that description, and in that case how? I
could probably figure it out but it would be great if someone could point
me to the right docs.

yours,
Theo (author of cql-rb, the Ruby driver)