On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Tupshin Harper <tups...@tupshin.com>wrote:

> Hi Clint,
>
> That does appear to be an omission in CQL3. It would be possible to
> simulate it by doing
> BEGIN BATCH
>     UPDATE foo SET z = 10 WHERE x = 'a' AND y = 1 IF t= 2 AND z=10;
>     UPDATE foo SET t = 5,z=6 where x = 'a' AND y = 4
> APPLY BATCH;
>
> However, this does a redundant write to the first row if the condition
> holds, and I certainly wouldn't recommend doing that routinely.

I'm not sure what would be the big deal of redundantly writing the first
row to it's existing value really. Performance wise, it's going to be
rather negligible since if you use a condition you are, by extension,
updating rows in the same partition, and so all of it ends up in the same
internal Mutation and there is very very little cost to adding one more
column to that mutation. The only minor downside is that it would bump the
writeTime() value for that column, but I can't imagine all that many
application for which that would be a big deal (though I suppose it could
be possible to support UPDATE with an empty SET clause so that you can put
condition on a row without updating it).

--
Sylvain