Ok, it seems 2.0 now is simply stricter about datacenter names. I simply
had to change the datacenter name to match the name in "nodetool ring":

update keyspace MYKS with placement_strategy = 'NetworkTopologyStrategy'
and strategy_options = {datacenter1 : 2};

So the schema was wrong, but 1.2 did not care about it.

cheers,
Christian