Yep - too easy. It does not matter what you use (CQL3, Pojo Mapper ;) or
whatever). And I guess it's easier for a "pure Java coder knowing nothing about
C*" to start with a mapper. But in the end you should know what's going on -
since you will be in the position to fix bugs and performance issues. And I
think there's no opposition when I say that it's better to prevent bugs ;)
The easiest way to learn things is just to start using it - play with it - make
tests - dig around - build a prototype - benchmarks - performance tests - again
and again. But throw away your prototype - start from scratch - with the
lessons learned in mind :)