From: Robert Coli [mailto:rc...@eventbrite.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:42 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: no change observed in read latency after switching from EBS to SSD
storage

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Mohammed Guller
<moham...@glassbeam.com<mailto:moham...@glassbeam.com>> wrote:
Does anyone have insight as to why we don't see any performance impact on the
reads going from EBS to SSD?

What does it say when you enable tracing on this CQL query?

10 seconds is a really long time to access anything in Cassandra. There is,
generally speaking, a reason why the default timeouts are lower than this.

My conjecture is that the data in question was previously being served from the
page cache and is now being served from SSD. You have, in switching from
EBS-plus-page-cache to SSD successfully proved that SSD and RAM are both very
fast. There is also a strong suggestion that whatever access pattern you are
using is not bounded by disk performance.

=Rob