On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Jay Patel <pateljay3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Btw, there is no data in the table. Table is empty. Query is fired on the
> empty table.

This is actually the worst case for secondary index lookups.

> From the tracing ouput, I don't understand why it's doing multiple scans
> on one node. With non-vnode, there is only one scan per node & same query
> works fine.
>
> If you look at the output1.txt attached earlier, coordinator is firing
> index scan on a given node (for example, 192.168.51.22 in the below snippet
> from output1.txt) multiple times for different token ranges. Why can't it
> fire only one time? With non-vnode, it's only one time & query comes back
> very fast.

It will merge requests to neighboring ranges when the same node is a
replica for both of them.  Without vnodes, this usually results in all
ranges for a node being merged.  With vnodes, merging still happens, but
not all ranges can be merged.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>