I have a 3-node cluster running Cassandra 2.0.6 on CentOS 6.5, with Jave
1.7.0_51.

I ran a CQL statement like "alter table table_name with
gc_grace_seconds=864000;" on node 1 in CQLSH, and it finished
instantaneously. "desc keyspace" listed the table with the new value for
gc_grace_seconds, and "select * from system.schema_columnfamilies" also
reveals the new value.

Then I ran CQLSH on the other two nodes. Node 2 got the change right away,
while node 3 still has the old value, even after 2 hours. As soon as I
restarted the Cassandra service on node 3, the new value showed up.

I have encountered this issue a couple of times. I searched this user group,
and saw two similar issues (
http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/default-time-to-live-tt7590662.html#a7590677
<http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/default-time-to-live-tt7590662.html#a7590677>

and
http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/Notes-and-questions-from-performing-a-large-delete-tt7591649.html
<http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/Notes-and-questions-from-performing-a-large-delete-tt7591649.html>

). However, I did not find a clear answer.

Is this a bug? Is there something wrong with my settings? I don't feel this
should be the normal behavior.