Only thing I can see from looking at the exception, is that it looks like - I
didn’t disassemble the code from hex - that the “peer” value in the
RefCountedMemory object is probably 0

Given that Unsafe.allocateMemory should not return 0 even on allocation failure
(which should throw OOM) - though you should add a log statement to the Memory
class to check that - I’d suggest logging to see if anyone is calling
SSTableReader.releaseSummary, which could set the peer to 0