So I would -expect- an increase of ~20k qps per node with m3.xlarge so
there may be something up with your client (I am not a c++ person however
but hopefully someone on list will take notice).

Latency does not decreases linearly as you add nodes.  What you are likely
seeing with latency since so few nodes is side effect of an optimization.
When you read/write from a table the node you request will act as the
coordinator.  If the data exists on the coordinator and using rf=1 or cl=1
it will not have to send the request to another node, just service it
locally:

          +---------+         +--------------+
          |  node0  | +------>|    node1     |
          |---------|         |--------------|
          |  client | <------+| coordinator  |
          +---------+         +--------------+

In this case the write latency is dominated by the network between
coordinator and client.  A second case is where the coordinator actually
has to send the request to another node:

          +---------+         +--------------+         +---------------+
          |  node0  | +------>|    node1     |+------> |    node2      |
          |---------|         |--------------|         |---------------|
          |  client | <------+| coordinator  |<-------+| data replica  |
          +---------+         +--------------+         +---------------+

As your adding nodes your increasing the probability of hitting this second
scenario where the coordinator has to make an additional network hop.  This
possibly why your seeing an increase (aside from client issues). To get an
idea on how the latency is affected when you increase nodes you really need
to go higher then 4 (ie graph the same rf for 5, 10, 15, 25 nodes.  below 5
isn't really the recommended way to run Cassandra anyway) nodes since the
latency will approach that of the 2nd scenario (plus some spike outliers
for GCs) and then it should settle down until you overwork the node.

May want to give https://github.com/datastax/cpp-driver a go (not cpp guy
take with grain of salt).  I would still highly recommend using
cassandra-stress instead of own stuff if you want to test cassandra and not
your code.

===
Chris Lohfink