Can you send us your exact data model?  Even though you normally use
Thrift, you may also be able to access the data from CQL, and if so, query
tracing is a very powerful feature in CQL which may describe why there is a
performance difference.

Do you do deletes of data?  If so, tombstones really may be the cause of
the performance difference.