Hey all,
Assuming a cluster with X > 1 application nodes backed by Y > 1 Cassandra
nodes, how do you best apply a schema modification?

Typically, such a schema modification is going to be done in parallel with code
changes (for querying the table) so all application nodes have to be restarted.
However, in our case we can't (or don't want to) restart/turn off all
application nodes at the same time. So do we have to guarantee that the schema
change will be backwards compatible? Which node should send the schema change
query? Should we just make all nodes send it and ignore failures?
It's unclear to me how data model schema changes are done in a clustered
environment. What are some good practices for handling this issue?

Thanks,Sotirios