> Ah.. six replicas.  At least its super inexpensive that way (sarcasm!)

Well it's up to you to decide what your data locality and fault tolerance
requirements are.

If you want to run two DC's, costs are going to increase since each DC has
a full set of replicas within itself.  But you get the benefit of being
more or less immune to losing an entire data center with no practical
application impact.

But it's true that multi-DC redundancy has a cost, and sometimes the
increased cost of running a multi-DC RF=3 cluster costs more than the
increased risk of downtime from a lower RF merits.  If you use RF=2 and
write your application to prefer QUORUM but degrade to ONE when QUORUM
can't be achieved, you can still get many of the advantages of RF=3 and
reduce your costs, particularly once you're in multiple DC's (i.e. you can
tolerate one node being offline without a significant application impact).
I know there are people who run production clusters that way, as Michael
Laing mentioned.

It's all tunable, you get to decide what's right for your organization.
You also get to tune RF per datacenter per keyspace, so maybe you want to
have a remote DC with RF=1 as a fallback in case your primary DC goes
offline, but don't want to pay for a fully redundant location, and are ok
with inconsistent reads if you lose your entire primary DC, and any node in
your fallback DC.

But practically speaking, at RF=2, you can't even take a node offline for
maintenance without reducing your effective replication to 1, and at that
point any spontaneous failure takes your application offline (and you also
can't achieve quorum, so CAS operations will always fail).  Maybe you're ok
with that, I can think of usages where that would be fine.  But you have to
decide for yourself, and you're given all the tools you need to implement
that decision.