Thanks all for you input.

I'm aware of the overlap, I'm aware I need to turn Ceph replication off,
I'm aware this isn't ideal. Nonetheless in on my environments instead of
raw disk to install C* on, I'm likely to just have Ceph storage. This is a
fully managed environment (excepting for C*) and that's their standard.

cheers
Colin