I use solr and cassandra but not together.  I write what I want indexed into
solr (and only unstructured data), and related data into either cassandra or
oracle.  I use the same key across all three db's.

When I need full text search etc, I read the data from solr, grab the keys, and
go get the data from the other db's.

This avoids conflation of concerns, isolates failures, but is dependent upon
multiple writes.  I use a message bus and services based approach.

In my experience, at scale this approach works better and avoids vendor lock in.

--
Colin Clark
+1 612 859 6129