> What about 15 gb?

not ok :) don't let a single partition get to 1gb, 100's of mb should be
when flares are going up. The main reasoning is compactions would be
horrifically slow and there will be a lot of gc pain. Bringing the time
bucket to be by day will probably be sufficient. It would take billions of
alarm events in single time bucket if thats entire data payload to get that
bad.

> If I use paging, Cassandra won't try to allocate the whole partition on
the server node, it will just allocate memory in the heap for that page.
Check?

Cassandra should never allocate an entire (large/wide) partition into
memory unless your telling it to on a read. (gross simplification coming up
here) Can think of it as if more as if its streaming the partitions data
from disk (more or less) filling a response to your query. Don't ask for
1gb of data and you won't get 1gb objects in your heap. Wide rows work
well, the keeping them smaller is an optimization that will save you a lot
of pain down the road from troublesome jvm gcs, slower compactions,
unbalanced nodes, and higher read latencies.

Chris