I don't know what the shape of the page state data is deep inside the
JavaDriver, I've actually tried to dig into that in the past and understand
it to see if I could reproduce it as a general purpose any-query kind of
thing.  I gave up before I fully understood it, but I think it's actually a
handle to an in-memory state maintained by the coordinator, which is only
maintained for the lifetime of the statement (i.e. it's not stateless
paging). That would make it a bad candidate for stateless paging scenarios
such as REST requests where a typical setup would load balance across HTTP
hosts, never mind across coordinators.

It shouldn't be too much work to abstract this basic idea for manual paging
into a general purpose class that takes List[ClusteringKeyDef[T,
O<:Ordering]], and can produce a connection agnostic PageState from a
ResultSet or Row, or accepts a PageState to produce a WHERE CQL fragment.

Also RE: possibly multiple queries to satisfy a page - yes, that's
unfortunate.  Since you're on 2.0.11, see Ondřej's answer to avoid it.