On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 1:35 AM, Jason Wee <peich...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pre cassandra 1.0, after sstables are compacted, the old sstables will be
> remain until the first gc kick in. For cassandra 1.0, the sstables will be
> remove after compaction is done. Will it be possible the old sstables
> remains due to whatever reasons (e.g. read referencing)?

If I understand your question properly, the answer is "no" or "not for
longer than the duration of a running thread."

If compaction is working properly in a
post-needs-the-java-GC-to-delete-files version of Cassandra the input files
should be deleted ASAP. If a thread is actively accessing that file, I
would imagine it blocks for that long, but that's not likely to be very
long.

=Rob