Your latency doesn't seem that high that can cause that problem. I suspect
more of a problem with the Cassandra version (2.1.3) than that with the
hard drives. I didn't look deep into the information provided but for your
reference, the only time I had serious (leading to OOM and all sort of
weird behavior) my hard drives where near 70ms latency.

Regards,

Carlos Juzarte Rolo
Cassandra Consultant

Pythian - Love your data